Friday, January 11, 2013

Bangalore

I arrived in Bangalore, India last Sunday. So far it has been a very busy trip, with several meetings mixed in with sightseeing, as well as keeping up with projects from back home (so if you're funding me and reading this, you need not worry!) My first meeting was at the Indian Institute for Human Settlements, where I gave a talk on "Current issues in California's transportation and climate policy." This gave me the chance to talk about my own research, and also my plans for studying Indian cities. The discussion was excellent and I look forward to watching as IIHS grows into a premier center for research and teaching of urban practice.

The next day I visited the Public Affairs Center, also in Bangalore, and spent several hours meeting with Kala Seetharam Sridhar. Kala does fascinating research on Indian cities (see here and here). Given the high quality of her work, I was not surprised when several months ago I found out that she is also an Ohio State alum who studied under Don Haurin. In the months ahead we plan to embark on some joint projects and I'm very much looking forward to that.

Finally, I fulfilled another one of my goals for my visit to Bangalore by staying in Electronics City for a night, where I also had a short but nice meeting with Balaji Parthasarathy at the Indian Institute of Information Technology, whose campus is in E-City and who enlightened me about the technology sector in India and other important topics.

This concluded my business in Bangalore, and Thursday night I boarded a train for Mumbai. After a 24 hour journey, I got caught up on work I owed co-authors, and arrived in my hotel in the Fort neighborhood in the heart of Mumbai.